Number of Words: 490
Varied Kinds of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatments
Carpal tunnel syndrome treatments usually begin conservatively. It moves to more aggressive and invasive techniques if the symptoms of such disorder persist. Before undergoing a release or endoscopic surgery, the initial carpal tunnel treatments include some medications and splints that are just done in sheer organics while others are scientifically enhanced.
Here are those highly recommended carpal tunnel syndrome treatments by orthopedic doctors:
* Physical therapy techniques include ultrasound, hydrotherapy and stretching. Ultrasound uses high- pitched sound waves to create heat that helps decrease pain in the soft tissues. Hydrotherapy involves immersing the wrist in both hot and cold water for three minutes to increase circulation to the wrist. Stretching the hands before work will help prepare for repetitive movements.
* In mild cases of carpal tunnel syndrome, rest and wearing a splint at night may be enough to relieve symptoms. Splints keep the wrist from bending and prevent pressure on the median nerve. These are designed for different purposes such as for particular jobs or for wearing at night. It is most effective if they are used as soon as symptoms are noticed.
* Retraining is learning new ways of doing things. Ergonomic considerations is having your body in the correct posture and position and using equipment that is right for your strength and ability. Both retraining and ergonomic considerations may not only relieve the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome but also may prevent them from coming back.
There are also complementary and alternative carpal tunnel syndrome treatments that are sometimes used to nurse tingling, numbness, weakness and pain of the fingers and hands. They are as follows:
* Acapuncture has been suggested as a useful carpal tunnel treatment. It is commonly used, the U.S. National Institutes of Health is currently studying the effectiveness of acupuncture for treating such disorder.
* Yoga can be beneficial in relieving pain and improving grip strength in the hand. One study showed that yoga was more effective than wrist splinting.
* Chiropractic involves realignment of joints and bones by twisting, pulling or pushing movements in the wrist and in the forearm, upper arm, shoulder, upper back and neck.
* Vitamin B6 can also be of big help in carpal tunnel treatments. However, small studies have revealed mixed results. High doses of it can cause neuropathy so consult first your doctor before taking those supplements.
Before going into all these kinds of carpal tunnel syndrome treatments, remember that it should be under a health professional's direction and guidance. Underlying causes such as diabetes or arthritis should be treated first. Initial treatment generally involves resting the affected hand and wrist for at least two weeks, avoiding activities that may worsen symptoms and immobilizing the wrist in a splint to avoid further damage from twisting or bending. If there is inflammation, applying cool packs can help reduce swelling.
No matter how advanced technology is, natural is still the best.