Steps in Acquiring an Exotic Pet License
Some people like animals. And some are especially fond of the real exotic ones. Exotic animals are those not usually made as a pet. It is definitely not a dog, a bird, or a cat. Exotic animals are usually found in jungles, forests, and the wild. Examples of these are skunks, snakes, or even tigers and lion cubs.
Some local governments require people, who intend to take care of these exotic pets within their yards or homes, to secure an exotic pet license. For one, in Illinois, it is illegal to own and take care of an exotic animal. In Georgia, you can take certain species of a skunk as pet without a permit.
But as a precaution, here are the steps you should do the moment you intend to take an exotic pet home.
1. Look for a listing of pets considered as exotic within your area. You can try the internet, there you will be able to find information about pets and owning one where you live. But as a rule of thumb, if your pet normally lives in the open, it is most probably wild.
2. Check your local laws and see if there is a rule against owning exotic pets. As stated earlier, there are states that don't allow it outright. For some states, it is okay. And others will require that you hold an exotic pet license. Call your local information service. They should be able to connect you to the right department to get the necessary information.
3. Process the necessary papers. If in case the state that you live in does require an exotic pet license, you have no choice but to comply. Compile all the necessary documents that they need and pass it on to the proper office accordingly.
4. See if there is any vaccines or removal of body parts like teeth is required. Because some exotic pets can be harmful, local state laws require owners to do something like these in order to protect the other people within the community.
5. File for the permit as necessary. After making sure that you have all the papers and the requirements met and ready, you are now ready to make a trip to your local government office to file and secure the permit with them.
These are the things you have to do to acquire the much needed permit for that sweet old exotic pet you always wanted. Hopefully, you need not transfer to another state just to take care of it!